Sunday, August 14, 2011

First Impression: Panthers' 2011 Preseason Debut

Revisiting my preseason Panthers HE said-He said prediction, and other thoughts from our first glimpse of Charlotte's new-look football team

I think it goes without saying: I liked what I saw from the Panthers Saturday night. My friends and I were at the game (Thanks to the great C.B. Williams) in lower-level, end-zone corner seats (amazing), one row behind the rain line caused by the upper deck. But like the Panthers' fortunes for the better, the winds shifted after the game's first few series, moving the line three rows behind us. I witnessed DeAngelo Williams' Barry Sanders impression from the concourse flat-screens while eating peanuts and not getting rained on. Then, as is tradition at Panthers games, we left for the bar somewhere towards the start of the 2nd.

So now, I'm watching it on my DVR. It's the best of all worlds. Thank God I have a wife who's a Panther fan.

As for the game, it was very encouraging for a team that was downright laborious to watch last season. In this week's paper, I wrote a He said-He said column with C. Jemal Horton debating the likelihood of the Panthers reaching 8-8 in 2011.  I took the negative, and cited Carolina's lack of an interior defensive line and secondary. But I must admit: those two units looked less like liabilities on Saturday. Sione Fua and Terrell McClain, the Panthers' pair of third-round picks at defensive tackle, looked disruptive in spurts. If Corvey Irvin (and Nick Hayden)  keeps developing, the Panthers could have a a solid rotation on the interior.

Along with a linebacking unit that lacked Jon Beason and Thomas Davis, the Panthers' front seven allowed just 81 yards on 25 attemps (3.2 yards per carry) and held the Giants scoreless.

The high-motor style of guys such as safety Sean Considine and corner R.J. Sanford was encouraging.  Full disclosure: I spent most of the time watching the line. But the secondary's stats aren't bad; though New York's Sage Roselfels was a solid 13/19 for 129 yards, starter Eli Manning was held to 4-for-9 for 36 yards (mostly in a steady rain). Neither connected for a score, and the Panthers corner backs made several athletic plays in coverage.

So, while I don't back off what I wrote this week, I will admit the weaknesses I cited do look a little less glaring after the first preseason game.

Some other thoughts:

  • Speaking of DeAngelo Williams (23 very impressive yards on four carries), he looked every bit back to his 2009 form when he ran for over 1,100 yards. The guy simply is the toughest guy in the NFL to bring down. I'm just not sure how much of a load he's going to have to carry this season. Jonathan Stewart had 12 yards on two carries, but went out limping in the second. Mike Goodson (eight carries, 30 yards) has the talent to be another Pro Bowl back for the Panthers, but fumbling in game situations isn't going to earn any trust from a new coaching staff.
  • OK App State fans,we're allowed to gloat a little bit. So many people felt the need to make us admit Armanti Edwards wasn't ready for the NFL last year. The naysayers took his preseason punt return fumble as an indictment on our hard-earned national titles. Have your well-deserved fun on Monday. Don't overdo it though -- wait until he does it in the regular season. Everyone has to agree though; he looks ready now.
  • And, of course, the QBs. As a humble yet unapologetic Notre Dame fan, I understand the certain amount of ownership I have to take for Jimmy Clausen's performance here in Charlotte. Within my group of friends, there are well-defined lines of fandom: Ohio State, Miami, North Carolina, the Irish. (The only common bond is almost all of us hate the Buckeyes) And I agree that at times it looked as if Clausen held the ball too long, but without seeing what happened beyond the camera's view, it's hard to judge (I know, a little homerish). I did think he looked light years ahead of where he was last season. Even the pick six in the first quarter looked more like rust than poor decision making.
  • I've heard Ron Rivera and others around the team use the word "Wow" in reference to Cam Newton on several occasions throughout the preseason. The rookie's  pass to Greg Olsen up the seam to the Giants' five-yard line in the second quarter actually brought the word out of my mouth. And my wife's, who I thought was asleep on the couch. I can't wait to see him run, which I'm assuming he's saving for the regular season. Kudos to Offensive Coordinator Rob Chudzinski for drafting a script aimed at building Newton's confidence with some short passes and screens. Always seemed like the old staff was too stubborn to stray from their formula of dive, 7-yard pass, draw and punt.Which brings me to my next point...
  • I love the new offense. Sure, there's no game planning in the preseason, but it was immediately evident that there is a new style of football in Bank of America Stadium. Whether the Panthers get to 8-8 or not, they're going to be more fun to watch.  I can't wait to see Steve Smith in an offense that makes opposing safeties  respect the middle of the field.



No comments:

Post a Comment